AeroMechanical Engineer, Sr. Staff
Company: AeroVironment International
Location: Simi Valley
Posted on: October 29, 2018
AeroMechanical Engineer, Sr. Staff
Simi Valley, CA
Regular - Full Time
Who We Are
Based in California, AeroVironment (AVAV) is a global leader in unmanned aircraft systems (UAS) and tactical missile systems. Founded in 1971 by celebrated physicist and engineer, Dr. Paul MacCready, we've been at the leading edge of technical innovation for more than 45 years. Be a part of the team that developed the world's most widely used military drones and created the first submarine-launched reconnaissance drone, and has seven innovative vehicles that are part of the Smithsonian Institution's permanent collection in Washington, DC.
Join us today in developing the next generation of small UAS and tactical missile systems that will deliver more actionable intelligence to our customers so they can proceed with certainty - and succeed.
We are currently seeking an AeroMechanical Engineer, Sr. Staff to join our TMS (Tactical Missile Systems) team.
Job Duties and Responsibilities
- Lead an engineering team to design and develop missile systems or sub-systems
- Develop mechanical concepts for unmanned systems including detail design of structural components, electro-mechanical design, payloads mechanical design, ground equipment mechanical design, launching systems, flight control actuators integration, stress analysis, thermal analysis, modal analysis, prototype hardware development, and performing design verification testing
- Accomplish design work using CAD tools (SolidWorks), simulation tools (SolidWorks Simulation, ANSYS), and rapid prototyping techniques (3D printing, etc.)
- Develop manufacturing drawings and bills of materials for components and assemblies using industry drafting standards
- Convene and support design reviews
- Assists project managers with planning and scheduling of engineering work
- Support manufacturing & suppliers with the production of mechanical components & assemblies
Required Qualifications & Background
- US Citizenship required
- B.S. Degree in Aerospace or Mechanical Engineering, advanced degree a plus
- 12+ years of experience in a progressive technical capacity within an engineering organization
- Successful experience designing military electronics products, missile experience a plus
- Demonstrated competence in Mechanical Engineering processes and design/analysis tools, solving Mechanics & Kinematics problems, solving Thermodynamics problems
- Good understanding of material properties
- Ability to solve advanced structural dynamics problems
- Good understanding of industry design and documentation standards (GD&T, ASME, Change Control, etc.)
- Experience in designing the following: machined parts, composite parts, plastic injection molded parts, sheet metal parts, wire assemblies, mechanical assemblies, and parts for high volume manufacturing processes
- Good understanding of composite design and fabrication techniques, injection molded plastics processes, environmental testing, including shock and vibration, engineering configuration management processes
- Experience with Solidworks EPDM & Agile PLM a plus
- Ability to excel in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment, where small teams share a broad variety of duties
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills - Leadership experience - Team Player
- Good interpersonal skills and ability to work well with others across disciplines
- Good presentation skills for formal reviews, both internally and externally
This position requires you have access to data and technology that is subject to the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR). Applicants cannot be hired until they are qualified to have such access. Applicants must be eligible to obtain a security clearance.
Additional Requirement: This position requires you have access to data and technology that is subject to the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR). Applicants cannot be hired until they are qualified to have such access. To meet this qualification you must be a current U.S. Person and provide documentation as such. Some positions due to contracts will require current U.S. Citizenship.
Benefits: AV offers a great benefits package, 401K with company matching, and a paid holiday shutdown. For more information about our company benefit offerings please visit http://www.avinc.com/myavbenefits.
We also encourage you to review our company website at http://www.avinc.com to learn more about us.
Principals only need apply. NO agencies please.
What We Do
Building on a history of technological innovation, AeroVironment designs, develops, produces, and supports an advanced portfolio of unmanned aircraft systems (UAS) and tactical missile systems. Agencies of the U.S. Department of Defense and allied military services use the company's hand-launched UAS to provide situational awareness to tactical operating units through real-time, airborne reconnaissance, surveillance, and target acquisition.
AeroVironment Incorporated is an equal opportunity employer, M/F/D/V and works in compliance with both federal and state laws. We are committed to the concept regarding Equal Employment opportunity. Qualified candidates will be considered for employment regardless of race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, marital status, medical condition nor disability, genetics, veteran and all others that may apply.
Keywords: AeroVironment International, Simi Valley , AeroMechanical Engineer, Sr. Staff, Engineering , Simi Valley, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!