Airworthiness Engineer, Sr.
Company: AeroVironment International
Location: Simi Valley
Posted on: October 28, 2018
Airworthiness Engineer, Sr.
Simi Valley, CA
Regular - Full Time
Who We Are
Based in California, AeroVironment (AVAV) is a global leader in unmanned aircraft systems (UAS) and tactical missile systems. Founded in 1971 by celebrated physicist and engineer, Dr. Paul MacCready, we've been at the leading edge of technical innovation for more than 45 years. Be a part of the team that developed the world's most widely used military drones and created the first submarine-launched reconnaissance drone, and has seven innovative vehicles that are part of the Smithsonian Institution's permanent collection in Washington, DC.
Join us today in developing the next generation of small UAS and tactical missile systems that will deliver more actionable intelligence to our customers so they can proceed with certainty - and succeed.
We are currently seeking a Sr. Airworthiness Engineer to join our team.Job Duties and Responsibilities
- Perform technical and administrative engineering tasks to secure and sustain FAA certifications.
- Leadership in performance and reliability improvements.
- Develop and publish white papers and safety cases to support expansion of commercial operations for UAS.
- Develop and lead various RTCA DO-standards implementation processes.
- Develop solutions and strategies with AeroVironment engineers and the FAA to overcome challenges.
- Support Type, Airworthiness and Production Certificate applications.
- Develop, lead program-specific system safety working groups.
- Perform Fault Tree Analysis (FTA). Analyze system failures to include operator error, system malfunction, unexpected behavior, etc.
- Perform Failure Modes, Effects and Criticality Analysis (FMECA). Understand failures and develop likely failure event sequences.
- Liaison with FAA leadership and ACO's to support certification and operational programs.
- Assists with system design reviews. Drafts test plans and procedures. ------
- Creative individual, thinks outside the box to find solutions to never solved problems.
Required Qualifications & Background
- MS in an Engineering discipline or equivalent experience required.
- 5+ yrs airworthiness and certification experience is required.
- 3+ yrs of general engineering or system safety work is required.
- Must have experience in certifying other components with the FAA or other airworthiness organization. Relevant experience with UAV/UAS's a plus.
- Must be able to research and review FAA AC, TSO, etc., interpret regulation and applicability.
- Demonstrated working knowledge of FAA regulations.
- Demonstrated analytical skills and an ability to interpret the available regulatory and advisory materials in order to meet project success criteria.
- Must have solid engineering background in various disciplines: structures, communication, avionics, software, ground station.
- Must be able to perform system safety analysis, including hazard assessments (Fault Tree Analysis) and assign risk.
- Must be able to create logic diagrams and analyze system failures.
- Must be able to develop likely failure event sequences and Failure Modes, Effects and Criticality Analysis (FMECA).
- Familiar with Monte Carlo analyses. Ability to perform probabilistic risk assessment a plus.
- Experience writing test plans, procedures, and reports a plus.
- Rigorous flight test experience background a plus.
- FAA Designated Engineering Representative (DER) a plus.
- Experience with CAD drafting a plus.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Computer competency in word processing, spreadsheets a must.
- Some travel required.
Additional Requirement: This position requires you have access to data and technology that is subject to the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR). Applicants cannot be hired until they are qualified to have such access. To meet this qualification you must be a current U.S. Person and provide documentation as such. Some positions due to contracts will require current U.S. Citizenship.
Benefits: AV offers a great benefits package, 401K with company matching, and a paid holiday shutdown. For more information about our company benefit offerings please visit http://www.avinc.com/myavbenefits.
We also encourage you to review our company website at http://www.avinc.com to learn more about us.
Principals only need apply. NO agencies please.
What We Do
Building on a history of technological innovation, AeroVironment designs, develops, produces, and supports an advanced portfolio of unmanned aircraft systems (UAS) and tactical missile systems. Agencies of the U.S. Department of Defense and allied military services use the company's hand-launched UAS to provide situational awareness to tactical operating units through real-time, airborne reconnaissance, surveillance, and target acquisition.
AeroVironment Incorporated is an equal opportunity employer, M/F/D/V and works in compliance with both federal and state laws. We are committed to the concept regarding Equal Employment opportunity. Qualified candidates will be considered for employment regardless of race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, marital status, medical condition nor disability, genetics, veteran and all others that may apply.
Keywords: AeroVironment International, Simi Valley , Airworthiness Engineer, Sr., Engineering , Simi Valley, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!