Sr. Staff AeroMechanical Engineer
Company: AeroVironment International
Location: Simi Valley
Posted on: October 26, 2018
Sr. Staff AeroMechanical Engineer Location Simi Valley, CA Employment type Regular - Full Time ID 244 Apply Now Who We Are Based in California, AeroVironment (AVAV) is a global leader in unmanned aircraft systems (UAS) and tactical missile systems. Founded in 1971 by celebrated physicist and engineer, Dr. Paul MacCready, we've been at the leading edge of technical innovation for more than 45 years. Be a part of the team that developed the world's most widely used military drones and created the first submarine-launched reconnaissance drone, and has seven innovative vehicles that are part of the Smithsonian Institution's permanent collection in Washington, DC. Join us today in developing the next generation of small UAS and tactical missile systems that will deliver more actionable intelligence to our customers so they can proceed with certainty - and succeed. We are currently seeking a Sr. Staff AeroMechanical Engineer to join our Tactical - UAS (TUAS) team. Job Duties and Responsibilities The Aeromechanical Lead is essentially an air vehicle IPT lead of small UAV systems for both military and commercial applications. Within this position, your primary duties are focused on:
- Leading and controlling all aspects of the vehicle design from initial concept to complete, production-ready design.
- Including but is not limited to planning, budgets, schedules, resolution of design challenges and coordination of multidisciplinary engineering groups.
- Ability to organize and conduct formal presentations and the ability to delegate responsibilities as needed.
- Knowledge of composite vehicle structure, electro-mechanical devices, optical payloads integration and launching systems. Required Qualifications & Background
- 12+ years of experience in a technical and leadership capacity within an engineering organization with Bachelor's Degree in Mechanical or Aerospace Engineering.
- Demonstrated competence in Mechanical Engineering processes and design/analysis tools
- Demonstrated competency in solving Mechanics & Kinematics problems
- Demonstrated competency in solving Thermodynamics problems.
- Good understanding of metallic, plastic and composite material properties
- Able to solve basic structural dynamics problems
- Proficient in SolidWorks, Excel, Word and PowerPoint is required.
- Hands on experience with composite fabrication and 3D printing is highly desirable. Required characteristics include:
- Good understanding of industry design and documentation standards (GD&T, ASME, Change Control, etc.)
- Experience in designing the following types of parts: machined parts, composite parts, plastic injection molded parts, sheet metal parts, wire assemblies, mechanical assemblies, and parts for high volume manufacturing processes
- Good understanding of environmental testing, including shock and vibration
- Good understanding of engineering configuration management processes
- Experience with Solidworks EPDM a plus.
- Experience with Agile PLM a plus. Other Qualifications and Responsibilities
- Able to excel in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment, where small teams share a broad variety of duties.
- Must be able to direct and delegate tasks to a team of approximately 10 engineers.
- Display a strong initiative and drive to accomplish goals and meet company objectives.
- Can work from high-level program requirements, organize, schedule and delegate tasks to an engineering team.
- Responsible for completing assigned tasks within project schedule and budget
- Good written and verbal communication skills and able to communicate effectively with intended audience.
- Good interpersonal skills and able to work well with others across disciplines
- Good presentation skills for formal reviews both internally and externally.
- Familiarity with UAVs and related engineering design processes highly desirable. Additional Requirement: This position requires you have access to data and technology that is subject to the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR). Applicants cannot be hired until they are qualified to have such access. To meet this qualification you must be a current U.S. Person and provide documentation as such. Some positions due to contracts will require current U.S. Citizenship. Benefits: AV offers a great benefits package, 401K with company matching, and a paid holiday shutdown. For more information about our company benefit offerings please visit We also encourage you to review our company website at to learn more about us. Principals only need apply. NO agencies please. What We Do Building on a history of technological innovation, AeroVironment designs, develops, produces, and supports an advanced portfolio of unmanned aircraft systems (UAS) and tactical missile systems. Agencies of the U.S. Department of Defense and allied military services use the company's hand-launched UAS to provide situational awareness to tactical operating units through real-time, airborne reconnaissance, surveillance, and target acquisition. AeroVironment Incorporated is an equal opportunity employer, M/F/D/V and works in compliance with both federal and state laws. We are committed to the concept regarding Equal Employment opportunity. Qualified candidates will be considered for employment regardless of race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, marital status, medical condition nor disability, genetics, veteran and all others that may apply.
Keywords: AeroVironment International, Simi Valley , Sr. Staff AeroMechanical Engineer, Engineering , Simi Valley, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!