Controls Engineer, Sr.
Company: AeroVironment International
Location: Simi Valley
Posted on: October 23, 2018
Controls Engineer, Sr. Location Simi Valley, CA Employment type Regular - Full Time ID 135 Apply Now Who We Are Based in California, AeroVironment (AVAV) is a global leader in unmanned aircraft systems (UAS) and tactical missile systems. Founded in 1971 by celebrated physicist and engineer, Dr. Paul MacCready, we've been at the leading edge of technical innovation for more than 45 years. Be a part of the team that developed the world's most widely used military drones and created the first submarine-launched reconnaissance drone, and has seven innovative vehicles that are part of the Smithsonian Institution's permanent collection in Washington, DC. Join us today in developing the next generation of small UAS and tactical missile systems that will deliver more actionable intelligence to our customers so they can proceed with certainty - and succeed. We are currently seeking a Controls Engineer, Sr. to join our team. Job Duties and Responsibilities
- Responsible for the full life-cycle of UAV GN&C subsystems including design, development, coding, debugging, testing, simulation, analysis, and maintenance
- Lead GN&C-related design requirements development and architecture/design reviews
- Architect comprehensive GN&C systems with focus on reuse of qualified design and analysis elements
- Analyze systems and flight test data to support model improvements and root cause investigation of failures and anomalies
- Document designs and analyses with written reports, presentations, and Engineering drawings
- Characterize, analyze, test, and troubleshoot control system hardware and software subsystems
- Architect and develop comprehensive, reusable simulation and analysis tools for model-based control and estimation designs
- Perform comprehensive linear and nonlinear controls and estimation synthesis and analysis Required Qualifications & Background
- Bachelors Aerospace Engineering, EE/CS with an aerospace controls emphasis, Mechanical Engineering, Physics, or System Engineering. Masters or PhD preferred.
- 8+ years or equivalent performance in a progressive technical capacity in GN&C and adjacent fields - or a similar combination of experience and education
- Proficient with developing linearized models from nonlinear flight dynamics models about trim operating conditions
- Proficient with digital and modern control systems, dynamics, Kalman filter design, or signal processing.
- Experience with aerodynamic stability and control modes, models, concepts, and coefficients
- Experience in designing, developing, and analyzing aided inertial navigation systems
- Experience designing Monte Carlo, hardware-in-the-loop, and/or 6DOF simulation environments
- Proficient in C, C++, Mathlab; Demonstrated understanding and competence in object oriented design
- Familiarity with Linux or real-time operating systems a plus
- Military and/or UAV experience is a plus.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication (written and verbal) skills. Strong listening, questioning, clarifying and summarizing skills to effectively communicate in one-on-one and small group settings.
- A willingness to travel, on occasion.
- US Persons Additional Requirement: This position requires you have access to data and technology that is subject to the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR). Applicants cannot be hired until they are qualified to have such access. To meet this qualification you must be a current U.S. Person and provide documentation as such. Some positions due to contracts will require current U.S. Citizenship. Benefits: AV offers a great benefits package, 401K with company matching, and a paid holiday shutdown. For more information about our company benefit offerings please visit We also encourage you to review our company website at to learn more about us. Principals only need apply. NO agencies please. What We Do Building on a history of technological innovation, AeroVironment designs, develops, produces, and supports an advanced portfolio of unmanned aircraft systems (UAS) and tactical missile systems. Agencies of the U.S. Department of Defense and allied military services use the company's hand-launched UAS to provide situational awareness to tactical operating units through real-time, airborne reconnaissance, surveillance, and target acquisition. AeroVironment Incorporated is an equal opportunity employer, M/F/D/V and works in compliance with both federal and state laws. We are committed to the concept regarding Equal Employment opportunity. Qualified candidates will be considered for employment regardless of race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, marital status, medical condition nor disability, genetics, veteran and all others that may apply.
Keywords: AeroVironment International, Simi Valley , Controls Engineer, Sr., Engineering , Simi Valley, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!